Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mantle with bookcase/cabinets

I built this mantle with bookcase/cabinet combination for Mark and Greg Warring.

 These really turned out fantastic.  I loved the colors they chose for the walls and the tile around the fireplace.  The mantle design became popular enough, that I ended up making two more of the same design for other homeowners.

The book shelves are fully adjustable, as well as the two shelves in each of the lower cabinets.  The structure and cabinets were made of 3/4 inch birch plywood, with a 1/4 inch birch backing.  It was trimmed out with routered 1x2's and the doors came from Real Wood Products.

When I was building the mantle, I had the desire to router more of the edges, but Greg Warring insisted that I keep everything square and smooth, except for inside the small boxes.  At first I thought it was a mistake, but when the project was done I loved it.  If I had routered all of those edges it would have become too much.

Someday I want to build one of these in my own house!

No comments:

Post a Comment